Working for the British Chamber
The British Chamber of Commerce is a leading membership organisation supporting the British business community in Singapore. We provide a community, activities, content and connections to help our members to grow their business and to feel a part of the British community in Singapore and Southeast Asia.
We are an independent not-for-profit membership organisation supporting approximately 3,500 members from 300 member organisations, part of the British Chambers of Commerce Global Network and a leading member of the Britain in South East Asia network (BiSEA). Our members vary from startups and SMEs to global MNCs, spanning all sectors and industries. Approximately two-thirds of the network in Singapore are British nationals or those employed by an organisation headquartered in the UK. We are not part of the UK Government, though we work closely with the British High Commission and Department for International Trade in-market.
Within our services to the British business community, we focus on five broad themes - the Future of Trade (creating jobs and boosting economic growth in Singapore), the Future of Work (supporting talent and the enhancement of people to support business growth), Diversity & Inclusion (ensuring that rich and diverse workforces are working together to support business innovation and growth), Education & Learning (focusing on quality education and future skills that businesses will require), and sustainability through our Road to Net Zero campaign (encouraging businesses to do their part for a world that we all want to live in in the future).
The Chamber provides benefits including leave entitlements, medical cover, access to discounts offered by our member companies, and flexible working arrangements.
1. Events Executive
Head of Events
We are seeking a bright, dynamic, independent professional to join our team as Events Executive, to:
- Support the Head of Events to consult and drive activity across in-person and virtual platforms based on the Chamber themes and Business Committee initiatives
- Work closely with the Business Committees and Head of Events to deliver and engaging calendar of events and podcasts
- Facilitate from conception through planning and delivery of activity
- Recognise and facilitate collaboration opportunities
- Monitor partnership opportunities and work to fulfill existing contacts
- Provide updates on events in the pipeline during weekly meetings
- Work closely with Head of Events to understand the P&L structure
- Understand and support UK-SG Strategic Partnership related events, following the correct protocols.
- Create event pages using our CRM system and upload key information related to these.
- Excellent sourcing and venue management, and overall supplier relationships
- Handle event logistics, administration, set-up, event delivery and teardown. This includes collection of materials for event promotions.
- Liaise with external stakeholders, i.e., vendors, members, other Chamber's personnel working closely with MarComms team in terms of event site and promotional activity
- Address event relevance for members and sponsors, inspiring, diverse and meaningful content, balanced timings and formats as well as commercial viability and ensuring any financial risks are highlighted and mitigated.
- Engage with Members at Chamber events, this is very much a front facing role.
- Maintain a professional manner, acting in the best interest of both the Chamber and its members.
- Manager event registrations where necessary and submit post-event reports.
- Manage event attendee lists (cancellations / waitlists).
- Assist the events team in preparation of logistics for meetings, rehearsals and events including room set-up, basic audio/visual needs, and F&B arrangements.
- Assist on site at fact-paced, sometimes high-profile events through the calendar year.
- Assist Senior Events Executive to lead UK-SG Partnership events from end-to-end.
- Maintain and update the events calendar.
- Delivery and facilitation of Business Committee events - virtual/hybrid
- Comfortable with Zoom platform as the delivery mechanism - use of breakout rooms etc
- Podcast preparation with the speakers
- Comfortable with the use of Slido and other interactive Q&A tools.
- A degree, or up to two years' work experience in the private sector in the areas of event management, business development or hospitality
- Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent team player
- Have excellent written and spoken English
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications and Zoom.
- You may be required to work outside of office hours where events are scheduled.
- Ability to communicate with the Events team whilst maintaining excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Be prepared to execute an event in a lead time of 1 week or less under special circumstances.
- Candidate must work well under pressure, supporting the smooth and efficient delivery of all events, be hands on and versatile.
- Must maintain good organisational skills and time management skills.
- Project management, scheduling, time and diary management
- Have an eve for detail and maintain Chamber branding.
- Organises self, works effectively and makes best use of resources
- Not afraid to ask questions
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a small team
- Willingness to learn and adaptable to new processes
- Takes responsibility and uses initiative to deliver high quality work.
- Understands and focuses on customers needs
- Able to multi-tasks and manage competing deadlines.
- Working hours 08:30 – 17:30 Monday to Friday
- Monthly Salary + CPF
- 15 days paid annual leave
- Huge access to knowledge via our content resources and events
- Given the nature of the Chamber activities, some events sit outside traditional working hours so the candidate will need to be flexible to suit morning and evening meetings.
Please send your CV to Anna at email@example.com
2. Marketing & Communications Executive
Marketing & Communications Executive
Marketing & Communications
Supervised by Senior Marketing & Communications Executive, reports to Head of Marketing, Communications & Partnerships
We are recruiting for a marketing and communications professional for our non-profit membership organisation, preferably with at least 2-3 years of experience in both marketing (including design) and communications areas. This mixed role will focus on the execution of marketing campaigns for our events, membership growth, and editorial content, alongside the ongoing publication of content for our podcast and video channels.
As part of the British Chamber of Commerce team, the successful candidate is expected to be professional in meeting and networking with our members at our events, and in communicating with our members through email and telephone correspondence. Strong English communication skills, particularly written, are a necessity for this role. The role provides the opportunity for skills development, creativity and professional networking.
The Chamber operates a flexible working policy for our team. This is a flexible role with a majority of office time preferred, and working from home supported.
We are unable to support applicants who require an employment pass due to the smaller size of our organisation and quota limits. This is not a management role.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Execution of the marketing and communications calendar, ensuring all campaign materials from launch through to post-activity content are scheduled and achieve effective engagement levels with our members
- Design of marketing collaterals for events, membership campaigns and editorial content
- Scheduling of content through email marketing and social media channels
- Photo-taking at events, video recording and editing
- Ongoing content promotion across multiple channels
MINIMUM ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Creativity in design creation and delivery to a high standard – please provide examples
- Intermediate or advanced experience of using tools such as Canva to create marketing collaterals
- Intermediate or advanced experience of using Adobe Premiere Pro to edit audio and video content
- Strong English-language skills (both verbal and written) to meet the expectations of our content output and audience
- Experience writing and editing B2B content
- Social media management (business pages) – LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Instagram, Hootsuite
- Ability to efficiently use recording tools such as DSLR Camera & audio equipment to plan and record video and image content
DESIRABLE ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Experience of using Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign
- An understanding of the business ecosystem in Singapore
- An understanding of the trade and business ecosystem within the UK
- Marketing automation, SEO optimisation
- Podcast publication, distribution and promotion
- Video production, distribution and promotion
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks for various departments, meeting publication dates in our content calendar
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a small team
- Ability to work both remotely and in an office environment; this is a flexible role with a majority of office time preferred
- Flexibility to attend flagship Chamber events out of hours as instructed and to professionally represent the Chamber to our members and key stakeholders
Applicants are encouraged to share examples from their portfolio of relevant work and any campaigns delivered with their resumes.
The British Chamber offers continuing opportunities for students to intern in our team, typically in the areas of event planning and projects.
To check on current internship requirements at the Chamber, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an example of how time spent at the Chamber has benefited students, read on to hear the feedback in their own words...
Deepti Narwani, Events Intern
My time at the British Chamber of Commerce was both exciting and insightful. I was given the opportunity to assist the team with both flagship and business group events. This included pre-event preparation as well as on site execution of the events. Managing on site difficulties at events thought me to adapt quickly to various situations, a skill which has now enabled me to work under pressure. The British Chamber team also trusted me to communicate with Chamber members to ensure smooth execution of events. I am extremely grateful for the support, patience and guidance that everyone at the British Chamber of Commerce provided me. I will carry the skills that I have learned for many years to come.
Edrea Tan, Trade Services Intern
My time at the British Chamber of Commerce, under the Trade Services team, was an enriching one. My job scope covered a myriad of tasks that gave me a wholesome understanding of the role the Trade Services team plays in the Chamber. The main projects I was engaged in were export opportunities, market research, events and the monthly newsletter. During the internship, I took charge of the export opportunities, being the main lead in sourcing, uploading and working with respondents. In addition, I got the opportunity to gain insight on the advisory services and business matching aspect of Trade Services through my assistance to the business advisors, primarily in market research. There were numerous business services events that I was involved in as well, which trained my ability to multi-task, be meticulous and organised in my work, and handle numerous excel sheets. Lastly, I assisted in crafting monthly Trade Services newsletters that provided an overview of events, business meetings, news and upcoming events. These newsletters keep our clients updated and maintains the relationship between our clients and the Trade Services team. All in all, the experience I had with the Trade Services team in the British Chamber of Commerce was warm and insightful. My time spent here was enjoyable and my learning objectives were met.